Skip to main content

30 Minute Story #14 - A Day in the Life of Danny



https://thestoryshack.com/tools/writing-prompt-generator/
Genre: Children
Character: A soldier
Material: Paint
Sentence: "Not for you."
Bonus: There is a great storm.

A Day in the Life of Danny


Danny was walking down the sidewalk with his head down, quietly fuming. Just a few minutes ago he was yelled at by his mom for staying out too long, and something about bread and lunch. He didn't really pay much attention to the second part, Danny was too busy feeling bad for himself. Like it was his fault the game of hide and seek took so long, he thought. If his friends weren't so bad at the game, and didn't spend twenty whole minutes looking for him, Danny wouldn't be in this mess right now. On top of everything they called him a cheater, when he wasn't doing anything like that! It wasn't his fault the boys didn't think of hiding inside that abandoned garage. "It's too dangerous" they said. And what did he get as a reward for his bravery? A lecture by his mother. Now he had to go to the store to pick up a loaf of bread, all on an empty stomach. As a punishment, his mom didn't even give him any ice cream money, and that was just unfair.

It was a hot summer day, and there weren't many trees to hide under on the way to the store. Danny's tummy grumbled, he was feeling the lowest of the low. What if he collapsed right here and now, he thought. He was hungry, and the sun was scorching hot, it sounded like a perfect recipe for a sun stroke. "What if I actually did pass out? I bet mom would feel really bad for being mad at me, and nobody would call me a cheater anymore." Danny's imagination was running wild. "If I was gone, they would all be crying about just how much they all miss Daniel, and how nice of a son and a friend he was. I bet they would regret calling me a cheater. My mom would donate all her money to an ice-cream factory, so all the kids would get ice-cream. Of course she would do that, mom would hate anyone else to pass away from a stroke like her beloved son."

As he snapped out of his daydream, Danny realized where he was - the construction site across the road from the store! Thinking about the benefits of his untimely demise ended up being a good way to waste just enough time. It was oddly quite at the construction. Usually the street was filled with loud, rhythmic banging of the hammer, with occasional whirring of the drill chiming in. The construction was almost done. The workers were taking a break from painting the building, and were all relaxing under the roof of the front porch, eating sandwiches for lunch. Oof, what a punch to his poor, empty gut this was.

As Danny kept on walking, he watched the workers eat, imagining how good those sandwiches had to be. The one place he was definitely not watching, was under his own feet. One of the workers looked over at Danny, his mouth full of bread, tuna and mayo, and the moment he did, all of the sudden the worker jumped up on his feet, pointed in front of Danny and tried his best to say something. Unfortunately, all that's left his mouth were a few muffled noises and a few chunks of tuna. It happened in an instant, but to Danny it felt like an excruciating eternity.

TIME UP

What happened next: Our boy Danny accidentally kicked a bucket of white paint right in front of him. He didn't get any on himself, but as luck would have it, there was a soldier walking right in front of the boy. The soldier was wearing a pristine, spotless, beautifully ironed uniform - he was clearly high up in the ranks. Of course, it WAS a pristine, spotless, beautifully ironed uniform, until it got white paint splashed all over it. Danny knew this was the end. He might have been imagining his demise minutes ago, but this was real life. He never imagined his life was going to be ended by a real soldier. As the man turned around, Danny saw the man's intent, as soon as their eyes locked. The boy quickly though about everything he could do in this case. Maybe he could take this man on, he thought, but that idea quickly flew out of his mind. Of course not! Soldiers all know karate, he wasn't an idiot. His friend's grandpa was a sailor in the navy, so he taught him everything there is to know about soldiers. The only option was to run. Soldiers could run at superhuman speeds, of course he knew that, but what choice did he have? As quickly as he could, Danny turned and darted across the street. All he wanted to do was run home, but he couldn't do that. If he showed up at home empty handed, he would surely spend the rest of his life imprisoned in his own room, forced to read educational books. He'd rather risk being killed by the soldier.


Well, I wanted to write something from a viewpoint of a kid. This was inspired by the many Russian children books I've read as a kid, all from a kid's perspective. It was always funny to me how insane and hyperactive kids' imagination was, so I tried recreating little bits and pieces of that in here! Hope it was at least a little successful :) I might have gone over the top haha, but that's me in general.

See ya'll next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadow collection #36 (September 30th)

Many funs were had at the Puyallup Fair! Hello my dear friend! We meet again! But at the same time you've never left my pocket in the first place, phone. I just haven't written things using your writing things apps. It's been an unproductively productive ten months since we've talked last, and for that I apologise. Stuff got in the way. It tends to do that. Well, onwards and outwards we go in the exploration of the shadows! Today we are returning to the shadow roots. No more insane photograph dumps this time. Those got old fast. Those burnt me out and got me out of the habit of blogging real words and coherent thoughts. It was during the times when I was absolutely undecided and immature, heading in all the wrong directions and doing all the wrong things, and suspecting nothing of it. Those were the days, when we were yound and so very stupid, says a young and still a stupid and such an unexperienced person. We'll see how things go on. I hope all is well, m...

Shadow collection #35 (December 20th)

Why view the blog in silence? Click the play button, and read on! A new week! Here we gooo! Getting up in 6 hours and doesn't afraid of anything! Amusing fact: I wrote the last entry of the previous blog and the first of this about 30 seconds apart from each other. YaaaayyyzyzyzZzZzZzzzzz... chaos is just somehow saying the very familiar fact that everything's complicated. 13 hour work days are MY FAV. YUP. And now off to bed. I hope I dream of awesomeness. Awesomeness I can remember. I should be asleep right now. Work at 7. But I can't help and ponder. It was probably nothing, but I am substantially BUGGED. A lot. What if it wasn't nothing? I should just let it go. Just for tonight. At least I'm good at that. Unlike being... Whatever it is I should be. Maybe that time has come, and its finally my turn. I hope it's not. The month of reunions! Two people I haven't seen in ages already, and MAANY more to come...

30 Minute Story #10 - The "Mini Stories" Experiment

Sup internet, I'm feeling better today! I am not lacking energy as I have been the past few days, and I'm excited for the weekend to begin. Today is going to be a bit of an exception to the regular writing exercise, as today's prompt has issued an interesting challenge. As I have mention previously, the writing prompt generator gives me all the information I usually list out before the short story, but it also gives me another constraint - a word count. Generally it ranges from 600 to 900 words, but I don't take it into consideration, since I have given myself a 30 minute limit to come up with and start writing the story. I use time instead of word counts to limit myself. Today the word count kind of surprised me, so I figured it would be a fun change of pace and an interesting challenge to write a story in only 50 words. Every single word is going to have to count. I will try to wrap up the entire thing in 50 words without including an "out of time" section. ...