Skip to main content

30 Minute Story #18 - The Entire Life of Brooke (Part 2)

Hey guys, I never really got past the introductions in Brooke's story last week, so I decided to continue writing, so I could at least flesh out the world, and the main plot more.

I have been listening to a writing podcast recently, as well as some Japanese culture podcasts, as I am learning Japanese, as well as videogame ones, design ones, music design ones... Basically, I'm really into podcasts, so I was delighted to learn there are plenty of them out there on the subject of writing!

What I'm trying to get to, is that as I was listening to this podcast, I discovered something about myself, which made all the sense in the world, but just wan't something I previously thought was a thing, or was ever a possibility. I found out that I am a discovery writer. What that means, is that the world, the characters and the plot in my stories only become clear to me as I start writing. I am pretty bad at outlines, and that's what I always got hung up on whenever I wanted to try and come up with a complete story in the past - that's just not how I work. It was a relief to find out that there were legit writers out there who worked just like me!

I don't know how The Entire Life of Brooke is going to end, or what EXACTLY is going to happen next. I know a few elements about the story, I know the general direction I want to take it next. There is a reason there is a big ol weird machine in the middle of their room, after all, but I don't know where these elements will eventually lead our characters, and how our characters will end up growing in the end. I have set up the world in my head based on a few simple prompts, and from there, every single fact about the world and the characters pours out of me as I write it. It's as if the story is telling itself to me. I too want to know what is going to happen to our characters next, so let's jump right into it and find out!

The Entire Life of Brooke (Part 2)


"That's precisely why we need to keep on participating in community service. So get out of your beds, get out of your comfy rooms, get out there and experience the world from as many perspectives as you can! You never know what opportunities await." Mrs. Campbell might have been grumpy when it came to oversleeping, but she was a good teacher, all things considered. She always tried her best to encourage the students to explore, try things out, not be afraid, and to learn as much as they could about themselves. "Alright, for those who aren't done with the write up, don't forget to finish up the assignment before you sign off. As for the rest - you're dismissed. Have a good weekend, class!"

Brooke disconnected from the virtual classroom, and after staring at her desktop background for a few seconds, she yawned and  did a long stretch. She was finally, truly awake.
"Please tell me you finished the in-class thing, I can't wait to see what you figured out last night!" She said to Eli, who seemed to be vigorously typing something up on his tablet.
"Not yeeeet, but I'm so close!" He said without lifting his head. "Hey are you hungry? You think Tony could make us a couple of sandwiches?"
"What kind of sandwiches would you guys like?" Tony asked in an almost human voice, with a slight metallic tinge. The little bot was programmed to wake up when hearing his name, after which he proceeded to skim the conversation from his short term memory, and derive the meaning behind the words, all in a blink of an eye.

While Brooke was very studious, and worked hard on things she was interested in, cooking wasn't one of them. She didn't have neither the desire, nor the patience to learn, and in the end always ended up frustrated at the process and ordered take-out. Of course, this was before she programmed Tony to access the net and learn how to make any dish imaginable. Now, theoretically, she never needs to touch unprepared, uncooked food ever again.

"Just make me the usual, a pseudo-beef with white cheese. Eli?"
"I'll just do an algae burger, thanks guys!"

As soon as Tony registered the orders, the bot quickly wheeled away to the kitchen and began working on the requests. Meanwhile, Brooke got up from behind her desk and walked up to the electric contraption in the middle of the room. It consisted of Four main parts: three cheap, waist high metallic bookshelves, stacked with computer motherboards, power supplies, and a few other pieces of hard to identify pieces of equipment, all surrounding what looked like an old, gutted oven. The centerpiece looked like an oven, because that's exactly what it used to be. The two friends took out all of it's original innards and re-purposed it as a shell for their experiment. They were high school students after all, and there was a limit to what they could afford, both working part time jobs as a part of the homeroom curriculum.

What interested Brooke the most, just as it has in the morning, was a monitor mounted on top of the oven, which had a log displayed on it, in chronological order. The latest entry read "Thought Recognition - SUCCESS."



TIME UP

Unfortunately, time ran out once again. 30 minutes really isn't all that long. 

Thanks for reading, and see you all next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadow collection #36 (September 30th)

Many funs were had at the Puyallup Fair! Hello my dear friend! We meet again! But at the same time you've never left my pocket in the first place, phone. I just haven't written things using your writing things apps. It's been an unproductively productive ten months since we've talked last, and for that I apologise. Stuff got in the way. It tends to do that. Well, onwards and outwards we go in the exploration of the shadows! Today we are returning to the shadow roots. No more insane photograph dumps this time. Those got old fast. Those burnt me out and got me out of the habit of blogging real words and coherent thoughts. It was during the times when I was absolutely undecided and immature, heading in all the wrong directions and doing all the wrong things, and suspecting nothing of it. Those were the days, when we were yound and so very stupid, says a young and still a stupid and such an unexperienced person. We'll see how things go on. I hope all is well, m...

Shadow collection #35 (December 20th)

Why view the blog in silence? Click the play button, and read on! A new week! Here we gooo! Getting up in 6 hours and doesn't afraid of anything! Amusing fact: I wrote the last entry of the previous blog and the first of this about 30 seconds apart from each other. YaaaayyyzyzyzZzZzZzzzzz... chaos is just somehow saying the very familiar fact that everything's complicated. 13 hour work days are MY FAV. YUP. And now off to bed. I hope I dream of awesomeness. Awesomeness I can remember. I should be asleep right now. Work at 7. But I can't help and ponder. It was probably nothing, but I am substantially BUGGED. A lot. What if it wasn't nothing? I should just let it go. Just for tonight. At least I'm good at that. Unlike being... Whatever it is I should be. Maybe that time has come, and its finally my turn. I hope it's not. The month of reunions! Two people I haven't seen in ages already, and MAANY more to come...

Shadow collection #32 (November 28th)

Why view the blog in silence? Click the play button, and read on! Yaaaawn it's 2:30 AM of the next week, so I guess I can no longer write in my old shadows. But there is always a new blog waiting for me! Each and every week, for almost a year! Time flies, and things change. There are people in my life, who are always close by. We always talk, hang out, and have fun together. I haven't spoken to a single one of them today. I talked to an old friend who has lived in a place away from home, with a psychologist always at hand, for almost a year (and damn, he has finally grown up emotionally, and is making all the right choices! So proud), and I had plenty of fun with a few new people! Laughing to tears while working on a school project, talking of movies, and talking of friendships. It was a well spent day of mostly chilling out. But now, its time to shut down and prepare for another day. Whooops! 20 min late. Good thing that this class doesn't ma...