Skip to main content

30 Minute Story #10 - The "Mini Stories" Experiment

Sup internet, I'm feeling better today! I am not lacking energy as I have been the past few days, and I'm excited for the weekend to begin. Today is going to be a bit of an exception to the regular writing exercise, as today's prompt has issued an interesting challenge. As I have mention previously, the writing prompt generator gives me all the information I usually list out before the short story, but it also gives me another constraint - a word count. Generally it ranges from 600 to 900 words, but I don't take it into consideration, since I have given myself a 30 minute limit to come up with and start writing the story. I use time instead of word counts to limit myself. Today the word count kind of surprised me, so I figured it would be a fun change of pace and an interesting challenge to write a story in only 50 words. Every single word is going to have to count. I will try to wrap up the entire thing in 50 words without including an "out of time" section. One of my weaknesses is usually writing unimportant details, so this will be good!


https://thestoryshack.com/tools/writing-prompt-generator/
Genre: Fairy Tale
Character: A struggling musician
Material: A shield
Sentence: "He can change."
Bonus: Your character has lost someone dear.

The Cricket and the Ants

“Leave, Cricket! You’ve been playing songs, not getting ready for the winter!” Said the young ants guarding the hill with little shields.
“He can change, let him pass.” Said the elder ant from behind the gate.
The cricket changed his tune with the cold looming ahead, helped the ants build, and they all enjoyed plenty of food, comfort, and song.


Guys, I messed up. For some reason I thought I had 60 words not 50. 60 was already so little though!!! Welp, let me try again...

Woes of a Young Bard

“Nobody likes my song, shaman, the stories I tell. Should I leave, lay by my father?”
“Don’t leave us prematurely, youngling. Do as I do. Stir emotions unknown in listeners’ souls. Let your song shield them from bleak reality. One who does that, he can change the world, do anything!”


Well, thanks for reading! I somehow managed to make that EXACTLY 50 words. I honestly did not realize just how little it really was. Literally every single word had to matter. This was more of a challenge than I realized, and I believe I ended up spending close to an hour coming up with these, but I had a TON of fun. The second story ended up including every single part of the prompt too, so I am kind of proud of that. In the first one I forgot to include someone the main character lost. Well, and I guess you could say the second one wasn't really a fairy tale, so I didn't entirely fulfill that.

Anyway,
See ya'll next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadow collection #36 (September 30th)

Many funs were had at the Puyallup Fair! Hello my dear friend! We meet again! But at the same time you've never left my pocket in the first place, phone. I just haven't written things using your writing things apps. It's been an unproductively productive ten months since we've talked last, and for that I apologise. Stuff got in the way. It tends to do that. Well, onwards and outwards we go in the exploration of the shadows! Today we are returning to the shadow roots. No more insane photograph dumps this time. Those got old fast. Those burnt me out and got me out of the habit of blogging real words and coherent thoughts. It was during the times when I was absolutely undecided and immature, heading in all the wrong directions and doing all the wrong things, and suspecting nothing of it. Those were the days, when we were yound and so very stupid, says a young and still a stupid and such an unexperienced person. We'll see how things go on. I hope all is well, m...

Shadow collection #35 (December 20th)

Why view the blog in silence? Click the play button, and read on! A new week! Here we gooo! Getting up in 6 hours and doesn't afraid of anything! Amusing fact: I wrote the last entry of the previous blog and the first of this about 30 seconds apart from each other. YaaaayyyzyzyzZzZzZzzzzz... chaos is just somehow saying the very familiar fact that everything's complicated. 13 hour work days are MY FAV. YUP. And now off to bed. I hope I dream of awesomeness. Awesomeness I can remember. I should be asleep right now. Work at 7. But I can't help and ponder. It was probably nothing, but I am substantially BUGGED. A lot. What if it wasn't nothing? I should just let it go. Just for tonight. At least I'm good at that. Unlike being... Whatever it is I should be. Maybe that time has come, and its finally my turn. I hope it's not. The month of reunions! Two people I haven't seen in ages already, and MAANY more to come...

Shadow collection #32 (November 28th)

Why view the blog in silence? Click the play button, and read on! Yaaaawn it's 2:30 AM of the next week, so I guess I can no longer write in my old shadows. But there is always a new blog waiting for me! Each and every week, for almost a year! Time flies, and things change. There are people in my life, who are always close by. We always talk, hang out, and have fun together. I haven't spoken to a single one of them today. I talked to an old friend who has lived in a place away from home, with a psychologist always at hand, for almost a year (and damn, he has finally grown up emotionally, and is making all the right choices! So proud), and I had plenty of fun with a few new people! Laughing to tears while working on a school project, talking of movies, and talking of friendships. It was a well spent day of mostly chilling out. But now, its time to shut down and prepare for another day. Whooops! 20 min late. Good thing that this class doesn't ma...